Jimmy Webb is an American songwriter, composer, and singer known worldwide as a master of his trade. His platinum selling classics include "Up, Up and Away", "By the Time I Get to Phoenix,” "Wichita Lineman”, “Galveston”, “The Worst that Could Happen”, “All I Know”, and “MacArthur Park”. His songs have been recorded or performed by the best including Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Judy Collins, Isaac Hayes, Art Garfunkel, Linda Ronstadt, R.E.M., Michael Feinstein, and Carly Simon. According to BMI, his song "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" was the third most performed song in the 50 years between 1940 to 1990. Webb is the only artist ever to have received Grammy Awards for music, lyrics, and orchestration.
Jimmy Webb was the youngest man ever inducted into the National Songwriters’ Hall of Fame and is the current Chairman. He also serves proudly as the Vice Chair of ASCAP. He is dedicated to the preserving the rights and the craft of the songwriter.
His book, Tunesmith: Inside the Art of Songwriting, in addition to being a good read, is considered a "bible" among musicians.
Webb's latest CD, the critically acclaimed “Still Within the Sound of My Voice” (September 2013) features duets that punctuate the importance of this songwriter: Brian Wilson, Keith Urban, Lyle Lovett, David Crosby and Graham Nash, Art Garfunkel, and more. It is the follow up to the 2010 release, "Just Across the River" featuring duets with friends including Billy Joel, Vince Gill, Willie Nelson, Jackson Browne and Glen Campbell.
Webb is married to Laura Savini, PBS host and producer. He has five talented sons and a princess of a daughter.
- 1967 Grammy Award for Song of the Year ("Up, Up and Away")
- 1969 Oklahoma Baptist University Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia honorary membership, Pi Tau Chapter
- 1986 Grammy Award for Best Country Song ("Highwayman")
- 1986 National Academy of Popular Music Songwriter's Hall of Fame inductee
- 1990 Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame inductee
- 1993 National Academy of Songwriters Lifetime Achievement Award
- 1999 Oklahoma Hall of Fame inductee
- 1999 ASCAP Board of Directors member, current Vice Chair.
- 2000 Songwriters Hall of Fame Board of Directors member
- 2003 Songwriters Hall of Fame Johnny Mercer Award
- 2006 ASCAP "Voice of Music" Award
- 2011 Chairman, Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Johnny Mercer Award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame
- 2012 Ivor Novello Special International Award
- Great American Songbook Hall of Fame 2013 Songbook Award